Creating new folders
Use the Insert key while the tree control is focused. The folder names must have valid filename specific ASCII characters only.toolbar button, the “New Folder” tree/list context menu item or press the
You can create two types of folders: regular and property based. Property based folders will be resolved at install time to the values from the respective property. This property can be one of the Windows Installer Folders, the result of a Search operation or a custom property set in the Install Parameters page.
In order to create a property-based folder which uses a custom property you can follow these steps:
- create your custom property (you can use the "Install Parameters" page, a search, a custom dialog, a custom action etc) and be sure that its value points to an existing location (Ex: MY_PROP).
- go to the "Files and Folders" page of your project and right click "Target Computer".
- select "New Folder" -> "Property based" in the context menu.
- select your custom property in the Property Picker dialog.
- add your files in the previously created folder.
- in the Custom Actions Page create a Set installer property custom action before Paths Resolution action group.
- In the "Property Name" field write the exact name of the previously created property (Ex: MY_PROP).
- In the "Formatted Text" field write the new path. This field is of Formatted Type.
Note that a property used by a property-based folder must contain a valid path. If this is not the case and the path cannot be resolved, the installation will fail.
If a property used by a property-based folder is not set at install time before the "CostFinalize" standard action executes, then Windows Installer automatically sets the property to the "TARGETDIR" path.
Adding an existing folder from the hard-drive
Use the + key while the “Folders” panel is focused. The newly added folder with all the included files, will appear in the selected folder from the left pane.toolbar button, the “Add Folder...” tree/list context menu item or press the
To add a folder with all its files as temporary, expand the toolbar dropdown and select item or set focus on the “Folders” pane and use the “Add Temporary Folder...” context menu item.
Setting folder properties
In the Folder Properties Tab box you can:
- set the selected folder to be one of the Synchronized Folders with a source folder on disk
- schedule the folder to be removed at component install or uninstall time
- add, edit or remove the folder's permissions
Converting folder contents to path variables
Use the “Convert Paths...” context menu item. A wizard will be launched enabling you to convert the following folder items to path variables:
- Regular files source paths.
- Temporary files source paths.
- Synchronized folders source paths.
Launches a wizard that will allow you to specify what files and folders created by your application will be removed upon uninstall. In order to run this wizard select the parent folder, the directory from where you want to delete files and folder, and from the context menu select “Uninstall Cleanup...”. After the wizard launches, simply follow to on-screen instructions to choose the files you want to delete.
Use the “Rename” context menu item or press the F2 key. The folder name is of PseudoFormatted type.
Locating the attached component for a resource
Use the “Go To Component” tree context menu item or press the F8 key. This command will activate the Organization page with the appropriate component selected in the left tree control.
This command is available only for a user defined empty folder, a synchronized folder or a folder removal operation.
Drag and drop the folder(s) to be moved to the target folder.
Use the Delete key on a selected folder.toolbar button, the “Delete” tree context menu item or press the
Refreshing synchronized folders
Use thetoolbar button or the “Refresh” tree context menu item.
In case of Merge Module projects the following attributes can be made configurable at merge time:
For more information about the resources and attributes that can be configured, please see: Configurable Merge Modules Page.
These settings are available in a folder's context menu. They are used to work with folders directly from the repackaged result instead of from the hard drive. In the latter case you can easily configure the repackager from the Repackager Settings dialog.
Add folder to ignore list
Specify what files should be disregarded during a repackager scan.
The Application Folder or Application Shortcut Folder cannot be added to the ignore list.
Configure folder filters directly from the Repackager Settings dialog.
A new Duplicate of Default profile will be created if no current profile is already defined.