This view allows you to properly install and configure a Virtual Directory on a new Web Site or on the Default Web Site on the target IIS Server.
It is redundant to add a virtual directory to a web site if the virtual directory's physical location is a sub-folder of the web site root.
You can set the physical folder for the new virtual directory. Use the Folder Picker Dialog will be displayed allowing you to choose a folder.button to change the root location. The
You can set the physical path credentials (eg. set a property-based username and password) by clicking on the Physical Path Credentials hyperlink. The Physical Path Credentials Dialog will be displayed.
You can set a condition for the installation of this virtual directory. The condition will be evaluated during maintenance as well. Edit this field using Smart Condition Edit Control.
Use the following recommended condition so that virtual directories can get removed or installed during maintenance depending on how the user sets their feature states:
(!VirtualDirectoryFeature = 3 AND &VirtualDirectoryFeature <> 2) OR (&VirtualDirectoryFeature = 3)
Where VirtualDirectoryFeature is the identifier of the feature containing the virtual directory's resources.
Virtual Directory is a web application
If the virtual directory added has dynamic content (scripts) it needs an associated web application.
The web application is loaded before the first request for it arrives from the users. This refers to database connections, .NET Framework, and the just-in-time compilation for ASP.NET applications, that usually get loaded the first time a user requests the web application.
Having all the above already loaded will make improve the UX for the first user accessing the application.
Web Application Level
Depending on the type of dynamic web application installed on this virtual directory, you can choose an application level:
- Low - IIS Core Process Application.
- Medium - Pooled Web Application.(Default)
- High - Isolated Web Application. (mission-critical applications that should be run outside of both core IIS and pooled processes)
Action if duplicate
Select the IIS configuration tool's desired behavior when a duplicate Virtual Directory is found on the target server.
- Skip item installation - when a duplicate Virtual Directory is found the installer will automatically skip the item's installation and continue the setup.
- Rollback installation - when a duplicate Virtual Directory is found the installation will rollback with an error message.
- Prompt user to skip item or rollback installation - when a duplicate Virtual Directory is found the user will be prompted to choose whether to continue the installation skipping that item or to abort.
- Prompt user to overwrite item or rollback installation - when a duplicate Virtual Directory is found the user will be prompted to choose whether to continue the installation overwriting that item or to abort.
The overwrite operation cannot be undone by uninstall or rollback !