The following article uses options that are available starting with the Professional edition and project type.
To distribute a Windows Update with the installation package you can add it as a Pre-Install prerequisite in the Prerequisites view. You can add the prerequisite as follow:
- Adding bundled prerequisite software. Use the Insert key. You will be prompted to pick the prerequisite setup files. toolbar button, “New Package Prerequisite” context menu item or
- Adding downloadable prerequisite software. For this, you can use the toolbar button or "New URL Prerequisite” context menu item.
Please keep in mind that this type of prerequisite is created with default settings, so you need to configure it manually (e.g. define proper install conditions for the prerequisite in the prerequisite install conditions tab).
In the prerequisite install conditions tab select the supported windows versions of the Windows Update. After this step, select the "Install Prerequisite based on conditions" option from the Install Conditions section.
Edit the predefined search criteria and select the following in the prerequisite edit search dialog:
- Criteria: Search done by a custom executable
- When prompted, select the CMD.exe from C:\Windows\System32\
- Argument: /c "wmic qfe get hotfixid | findstr ^"KB id^""
The search operation should be something as below:
There are different ways to find the hotfixes installed on computers, but the fastest and simplest way is to use the Windows Management Instrumentation Command-line (WMIC). With WMIC, getting the IDs of all the hotfixes installed on the local system can be done with this short command:
wmic qfe get hotfixid